I’ve found that my muse is always gently whispering to me in the background. Though I fear, if I’m too be honest with myself, I’ve been frequently putting the beckoning on hold or ignoring it for the most part over the last several months. For a few main reasons…
1. When the melodies are loudest, it’s during my work day hours. While I’d love to set aside my important work tasks and draw and write, I feel that I have to force it down and tell my sweet muse, “I’m sorry Melody, I can’t come out and play with you right now. I’ll play later…”
2. This brings me to my second reason…Later comes and Melody sweetly sweeps in, “Okay, it’s later….are you ready to play?” My heart sinks and my soul cries as my brain and body remind me of how tired I am and all the “adulting” I still have to do. So I sadly say, “I’m sorry Melody, I’m too tired.” As I watch her walk disheartedly away and feel the inner agony of longing to play.
3. The third one is I think maybe I’ve been feeling a bit burned out recently. This is why I decided that I need to make more time to play…it’s a non-negotiable. I’ve just started reading…
1. The Artists Way by Julia Cameron
2. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
These two books have been on my radar for quite some time, but I decided I needed these books in my life to help me better connect with my muse and creativity again.
There are exercises that are given in the Artists Way that I’m already finding very helpful only after one week. Today begins the start of week number two, which I’m absolutely ready for!